Automatic Tissue Processor
The EMP 5160 is a productivity tool for the Electron Microscopy Laboratory. If you are embedding three or more times per week you cannot afford to process by hand. The EMP 5160 uses a proven robotics system to move baskets of tissue from one vial to another and agitates at the time and force you program, at the temperature you desire.
- Microprocessor based with room for 50 protocols built into the instrument. These can be preprogrammed for you, sent to you on preprogrammed keys later or put into the unit or keys by the operator with the handheld programming unit.
- Sealed vials for operator safety, the vials can all be loaded in a hood and the EMP5160 operated in an open room. Transfer of the vials does not expose the operator to fumes as other units do.
- Programming is done via detachable hand held keypad. When you have finished programming the programming unit is locked away to prevent tampering or accidental changing of a protocol.
- Frugal! Can use just a couple of milliliters of fluid for one sample up to 18ml for a full load (up to 48 sample compartments).
- Two proven sample handling systems, either the traditional snap rings with removable screens or the multi-compartment baskets. Either type have all tools included.
Quality on Demand
Your laboratory can keep the same quality as manual processing but gain the time for other tasks and the convenience of doing things on a more predictable schedule. All tissues can be loaded and the timing set so that the tissue finishes at the time you desire. Each morning or afternoon the tissue is ready for you when you want it.
Safe, Versatile, Programming
The processor can come to you with your protocol loaded in internal memory. Your programs can be on external “data keys” that look like a large plastic key but have a memory chip inside, these can be programmed by you or RMC. This is great for backup purposes, it is also a big relief if the primary operator is out and no-one is sure which protocol is loaded to run. By just putting the key into the unit and turning it the program is loaded, now just press Start. You can call this in from anywhere with confidence.
This is the only system that uses sealed vials for all reagents. With any other carousel system, the operator is potentially exposed to multiple hazardous vapors upon trying to inspect the process, change vials, retrieve the stack, etc. This can unnecessarily expose the operator and institution to risks. The EMP 5160 vials can be loaded in a hood, the instrument can be operated outside the hood and allows complete inspection of the system while operating, exchanging of vials, pulling the stack for adding samples, etc. without exposure to all reagents in the system.
Sample Handling Systems
The EMP 5160 uses traditional stack rings with stainless steel screen bottoms or the molded, one piece design with a center post. Both come with all the loading tools* necessary for easy and safe loading.
These two sample basket systems allow processing of up to 48 samples per run, running a few large samples up to 5mm x 5mm or extremely fine samples depending on your needs.
Supplied complete with the following:
- 1 set specimen handling tools, load & amp; unload for specimen stack rings
- 1 specimen load/unload plate for specimen baskets
- 50 reagent vials with caps
- 50 stack rings with mesh screens
- 5 processing chambers
- 1 basket holder assembly
- 25 large, 3 compartment specimen baskets
- 25 small, 4 compartment specimen baskets
- 50 each EM grid baskets
- 100 basket lids
- 5 syringes, 30cc capacity
- 3 meter exhaust hose
- 1 programming keypad
- 1 programmable data key
- Instruction manual
- Fuse kit
Number of Programs 50
Delay Start Unlimited
Specimen Agitation Yes
Specimen Temp. Yes – Peltier Controller
Diagnostic Codes Built-in
Coolant Air cooled system
Specimen holders Three types are offered:
A) Molded plastic with three or four specimen compartments per basket.
B) Electron microscopy specimen grid baskets for staining, spec grids/baskets
C) Single compartment specimen stack rings for larger samples.
Specimen Capacity 48 specimens in four compartment baskets 18 specimens in three compartment baskets 72 electron microscopy grids in grid baskets 12 large specimens in stack ring holders
Battery Backup Two battery backup systems:
A) Lithium battery for ROM protection
B) Rechargeable battery providing up to 30 minutes of full operation in the event of power failure. No temperature regulation during back-up by battery.
Program Step Range 1 minute to 99 hours 59 minutes
Specimen Drip Between reagent vials, specimens are parked in the processing chamber & lightly agitated to remove excess liquid. This is a short term process in a saturated atmosphere alleviating any possibility of air drying.
Dimensions H: 460mm x W: 305mm x D: 535mm H: 18″ x W: 12″ x D: 21″
Weight 30kg 66lbs.
Voltage 100/120/220/240 Vac 50/60 Hz
Power Consumption 500 W
* The sample loading system has many features designed by Mr. Gregory Argentieri of Novartis, East Hanover, NJ. We thank him for his contribution to EM tissue processing.